Friday, July 30, 2010

Concept from Chapter 13: Triangulation

I thought the mixed methods of research was an interesting idea. I like the fact that the research is being conducted in different ways. This can also be known as triangulation. That means that a research question is being examined from different perspectives. I feel that this could produce some interesting results. Sometimes research can produce inconclusive results and I think this could be avoided somewhat if different methods are being used.
One way we can use mixed methods is by combining experimental research and content analysis. Experimental research is great for first hand results. It also can be very useful. After the experimental research is completed and the results have been found, the researcher could then start content analysis. The researcher would read through text that focused on what they conducted their experiments on. Both forms of research compliment each other and the content analysis could provide support for the experimental research. On the other hand, the results could be contradictory which might be discouraging for the researcher.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you say mixed methods of research is an interesting idea, I couldn't have worded it any better myself. Also experimental is a favorite of mine as well because it does give you a hands on experience of what is happening and you can ask or do whatever you want to help the research process. I do feel like the results would be contradiction and that could mess up the whole research, and could effect the whole darn thing. I do also agree that there needs to be proper tasks taking place to avoid inconclusive results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you when you say that mixed methods of research is an interesting idea. I think that when you mix different methods then you can make up for the downfall in certain parts of the method. While it could become complicated I think that some amazing results could happen from the mixing or like you said completely contradict. I think that the best way to conduct an experiment is to be a part of it. To really get into it and do fieldwork or even to observer but to actually be there. i think either way when you participate in an experiment you have changed the outcome regardless.

    ReplyDelete